Yale Law School J.D., 2011
University of California San Diego, School of Medicine M.D., 2011
Emperor's College, M.T.O.M., 2005 summa cum laude
University of California Los Angeles, B.S., 2001 summa cum laude
Abbott, Ryan. I Think, Therefore I Invent: Creative Computers and the Future of Patent Law, Boston College Law Review, Vol. 57, No. 4 (2016).
Abbott, Ryan and Ian Ayres. Evidence and Extrapolation: Mechanisms for Regulating Off-Label Uses of Drugs and Devices, 64 Duke L.J. 377 (2014).
Abbot, Ryan. World Intellectual Property Organization, Documenting Traditional Medical Knowledge (2014).
Abbott, Ryan. Big Data and Pharmacovigilance: Using Healthcare Information Exchanges to Revolutionize Drug Safety, 99 Iowa L. Rev. 225 (2013).
Abbott, Ryan and Michael Cohen. Medico-Legal Issues in Cardiology. Cardiol Rev. 2013 Sep-Oct; 21(5):222-8.
California, New York, U.S.D.C. Central District of California, Eastern District of New York, and Southern District of New York
Registered Patent Attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Telephone: (310) 421-2903
p. (310) 421-2903 e. firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryan assists clients with a wide variety of matters related to intellectual property protection, financing and regulatory compliance, and corporate transactions. He helps clients to obtain and protect patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret protections, as well as to negotiate complex licensing agreements and contracts. Many of his clients have been in the biotechnology, medical device, and pharmaceutical industries. Ryan has worked as General Counsel of a mid-stage biotechnology company, and has been Of Counsel at a boutique intellectual property law firm. He also has experience with intellectual property litigation in both state and federal courts.
Outside of the firm, Ryan is a Professor of Law and Health Sciences at the University of Surrey School of Law in England. He is highly regarded for his scholarship, teaching, and professional activities related to international intellectual property rights and medical law. Ryan's research has been published in leading legal, medical, and scientific journals. He is also regularly featured in media outlets such as Bloomberg Law, ABC News, and Law.com. Ryan frequently works as an expert witness which has included testifying in federal court.
Ryan is a licensed and board certified physician as well as an attorney in the United States, and he is also a solicitor (non-practicing) in England and Wales. He is a graduate of Yale Law School (J.D.) and the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine (M.D.), as well as a Summa Cum Laude graduate from Emperor's College (M.T.O.M.) and a Summa Cum Laude graduate from University of California, Los Angeles (B.S.). He is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and a member of the California and New York State Bars.
Some representative matters include:
- General Counsel of a mid-stage biotechnology company.
- Counsel to an information technology company threatened by a large multinational corporation with intellectual property infringement. The case ended with a substantial settlement for the information technology company.
- Counsel to a variety of clients managing all aspects of intellectual property protection, including successful international patent and trademark prosecution.
- Counsel for a variety of early-stage companies assisting with corporate formation, financing, and contractual matters.
- Amicus (friend of the court) counsel for appellant who lost a trial for medical expenses for a lung transplant. The Appellate opinion held that immigration status is irrelevant to a personal injury action not claiming damages for lost earnings or earnings capacity, and that immigration status is not relevant to credibility.
Ryan lives in London, England with his wife and daughter. He has an astronomical number of frequent flyer miles.