Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 2008, cum laude
University of Chicago, B.A. with honors, International Studies, 2003
California, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. District Courts for the Central and Northern Districts of California, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California
David E. Jang
p. (310) 593-9890 e. David@bnsklaw.com
David E. Jang is an experienced litigator representing clients in all phases of complex business, commercial, and entertainment-related disputes, including First Amendment law, copyright, and breach of contract. He also has extensive experience litigating insurance recovery disputes, employment-related disputes, mass torts, securities litigation, and shareholder derivative actions. David has litigated a variety of cases in both state and federal courts, handling actions from their inception through mediations and appeals.
Over the course of his career, David has been involved in litigation with hundreds of millions, and even billions, of dollars at stake.
- Represented a media production company in a profit participation dispute, securing a dismissal of the entire action by summary judgment.
- Represented a mass media company in a multi-million contract dispute regarding a famous boxing match.
- Represented one of the “Big Six” American film studios in a breach of contract, employment and copyright dispute involving a major motion film, securing a dismissal of the copyright claims on a motion to dismiss.
- Represented the trust of a major celebrity against a well-known auctioneer in a breach of contract and fraud action.
- Represented a multinational publisher and distributor of videogames in a insurance recovery disputes.
- Represented a famous actor accused of copyright infringement, and secured a favorable settlement.
- Represented a solar panel manufacturer and secured a dismissal of the entire action with prejudice against all defendants in a securities fraud class action. Later, successfully defended the company on appeal in which the Second Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the original decision.
- Represented the former CEO of a bank, securing a dismissal of an entire action with prejudice in a securities fraud class action.
- Represented a Chinese game developer, securing a dismissal of the entire action against all defendants in a securities fraud class action.
- Represented a solar panel manufacturer, securing a reversal of the lower court’s ruling that resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented a municipality in a contract dispute surrounding duty to defend and indemnity obligations, and secured a favorable ruling in summary judgment.
- Represented a utility company against multiple insurance companies in insurance recovery disputes, securing a complete victory in arbitration and favorable settlements for the client.
- Represented an international engineering and construction firm in insurance recovery disputes against multiple insurers.
- Represented a public utility in a mass tort action related to a pipeline explosion.
- Represented a former employee of a multi-billion dollar investment company involving claims arising out of sex discrimination, defamation, and breach of contract.
Prior to joining the firm, David was a senior associate with Latham & Watkins LLP and Kelley Drye & Warren LLP. David has also been heavily involved in pro bono matters. For example, David defended a news reporter from Colombia in removal proceedings, convincing the court that his client was entitled to asylum based on the persecution she endured for political opinions that were imputed to her by the FARC. He also secured asylum for a minor from Honduras on the grounds he was persecuted for an alleged political opinion, and for another young man, also from Honduras, on the basis of his membership in a protected social group.
David received his J.D., cum laude from Georgetown University School of Law. While in law school, David was a senior articles editor on the Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy. He was also a member of Georgetown University Law Center’s Criminal Justice Clinic, during which he successfully defended several clients in a variety of criminal matters. David received his B.A., with honors in International Studies from the University of Chicago.